Undergraduate research was in the spotlight July 28 at Rice’s Summer Undergraduate Research Symposium, where judges awarded best-poster honors to 10 students in eight categories. Rice’s Institute for Biosciences and Engineering sponsors and hosts the annual event at the BioScience Research Collaborative to give over 70 undergraduate summer interns the opportunity to present their work to some 200 visitors and judges.
The event highlighted research from multiple programs, including several sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and by Rice’s Take Flight STEM Pathway, a partnership between Rice, San Jacinto College and Lone Star College to expand education access and increase the number of students who complete degrees in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
The winning students, by program, were:
● NSF Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates in Multi-Scale Biomolecular Networks (BioNetworks): William Cade Sellers (Lone Star College) and Thomas Witherspoon (Rice University)
● NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates in Climate and Sustainability Research in Nanotechnology and Electrochemical Devices for Community College Students: Stefan Tabacaru (Lee College)
● Rice University Summer Research Institute and Biosciences 310: Isabelle Scherick (Rice University)
● BUILDing Scholars Undergraduate Scholarship Program: Jessica Garcia (University of Texas at El Paso)
● Houston Community College-Rice Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates: Yosan Embafrash (Houston Community College)
● NSF Precise Advanced Technologies and Health Systems for Underserved Populations Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates: Vivek Chilakala (Rice University)
● NSF Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates in Planetary Habitability Over Space and Time: Emerson Long (Syracuse University) and Annadecia Huddleston (Houston Community College)
● American Heart Association Summer Cardiovascular Research Internship Program: Agnes Gunawan (Lone Star College)
● Other Rice Summer Research Experiences: Samuel Wu (Rice University)