Famous teachers and faith leaders who have inspired millions will be the focus of a series of upcoming presentations offered by a cross-section of Houston institutions including Rice University.
Compassionate Houston, a partner of Rice’s Boniuk Institute for Religious Tolerance, is hosting Compassion Week Oct. 16-22 to provide the community with perspectives from a variety of backgrounds through virtual sessions.
Eight diverse partner organizations will host 30-minute presentations on inspirational leaders. Each program will provide the leader's perspective on compassion and how it can help guide integrating different viewpoints and ideas into the larger community.
Compassionate Houston is collaborative network of partners from all walks of life: nonprofits, faith communities, compassion-focused practice groups and like-minded businesses. The initiatives are rooted in principles of treating others with respect, encouraging appreciation of cultural and religious diversity and cultivating an informed empathy for all human beings.
The schedule (all times CDT):
- Oct. 16, 4:30-5 p.m.: "C.G. Jung and Compassion" with Sean Fitzpatrick, executive director, Jung Center of Houston.
- Oct. 17, 4-4:30 p.m.: "The Living Christ on Compassion" with Andi Cook, communication director, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Oct. 18, 6-6:30 p.m.: "Teach Me to Have the Compassion of Dr. Martin L. King" with Cherry Steinwender, executive director, Center for the Healing of Racism.
- Oct. 19, 9-9:30 a.m.: "Gandhi and Compassion" with Atul Kothari, founder, Eternal Gandhi Museum Houston.
- Oct. 19, 5-5:30 p.m.: "Bibi Fatima on Compassion" with Salimah Chunara, religious educator for the Ismaili Muslim community, Ismaili Council for the Southwestern USA.
- Oct. 20, 7-7:30 p.m.: "Buddha on Compassion" with Lama Harvey Aronson and Lama Anne Klein, co-founders, Dawn Mountain.
- Oct. 21, 4:30-5 p.m.: "The Virgin Mary on Compassion: A Muslim Perspective" with Zahra Jamal, associate director, Boniuk Institute for Religious Tolerance.
- Oct. 22, 4:30-5 p.m.: "His Holiness the Dalai Lama on Compassion" with Ginger Clarkson, community dharma leader, Insight Meditation Houston.
All of the daily Zoom presentations can be viewed at https://bit.ly/3mW7zbo.
Compassionate Houston, co-founded in 2011 by a group of organizations including the Boniuk Institute, Rothko Chapel and Interfaith Ministries, was inspired by the Charter for Compassion. It is dedicated to growing the compassionate culture of Greater Houston through awareness, education, community and service.