A number of maintenance repairs are planned for the summer, along with ongoing construction of several buildings. Patrick Dwyer, executive director of space management, and Bart Salmon, director of facilities and maintenance services, mentioned the following projects during the June 7 Administrators’ Forum:
Progress is being made on construction of the six-story office building and seven-story parking garage south of Allen Center. The target date for substantial completion is August 2017.
- The Moody Center for the Arts should be substantially complete by Oct. 1.
- The Brian Patterson Sports Performance Center on the north end of Rice Stadium should be substantially complete by Aug. 1.
- Hurricane clips, which help hold the roof down during heavy winds, are being installed on 11 buildings as part of a project that will be funded 75 percent by FEMA: Housing and Dining Office, Baker Master House, Will Rice Master House, New Hanzen College, Old Will Rice College, Baker College, Duncan Hall, George R. Brown
Hall, Herzstein Hall, Rayzor Hall and Baker Hall.
- Hurricane clips are also being installed on the Rice Graduate Apartments. This project entails removing the roof tiles, installing the clips and replacing the tiles; it will continue through 2017.
- Obsolete electrical gear will be replaced in Anderson Biological Laboratories.
- Storm-sewer repairs will be made in Rayzor and Sewall halls to improve drainage in the Academic Quad.
- Utility tunnel repairs will be made to fix the damage caused by tree roots penetrating the tunnel.
- An outdoor mass notification system, including five speaker systems and a speaker tower, is being installed for use by Rice University Police Department during an emergency.
- At the BioScience Research Collaborative, 10 live oak trees that have damaged the planters holding them will be replaced with cherry laurels.